A crown is a ‘cap’ or ‘helmet’ for a tooth. A dental crown is usually placed on a brittle or mechanically weak tooth to reinforce and strengthen it. A dental crown can also dramatically improve the aesthetic of a discolored or misshapen tooth.
A crown can be made from several materials with the most effective being Zirconium.
Zirconium dental crowns usually require two visits to complete.
Symptoms that may necessitate a dental crown:
- Large fractures of the tooth
- Deep hairline cracks of the tooth
- Root canal treatment on a tooth
- Heavily discoloured or misshaped tooth
- Large fillings causing tooth to be brittle.